​Thank you for your interest in becoming a Educational Aide/Support staff for FISD.

Educational Aide, Clerk, Receptionist and Secretary/Admin. Assistant

Requirements for Highly Qualified Paraprofessionals (Educational Aides)

A paraprofessional is an employee of a local education agency who provides instructional support. Duties of a paraprofessional may include:

  • providing one-on-one tutoring if such tutoring is scheduled at a time when a student would not otherwise receive instruction from a teacher;
  • assisting with classroom management, such as by organizing instructional materials;
  • providing instructional assistance in a computer laboratory;
  • conducting parental involvement activities;
  • providing instructional support in a library or media center;
  • acting as a translator; or
  • providing instructional support services under the direct supervision of a highly qualified teacher (Title I, Section 1119(g)(2)).

Paraprofessional (Educational Aide) Requirements

  • NCLB requires paraprofessionals performing instructional duties on a Title I, Part A School wide served campus, or those that have at least part of their salary paid for by Title I, Part A on a Targeted Assistance campus, to meet the Paraprofessional Highly Qualified requirements. Highly Qualified paraprofessionals must meet one of the following requirements:
  • Complete at least two years of study at an institution of higher education (defined as completion of 48 semester hours or equivalent trimester hours) of college coursework or an applicable number of semester hours as defined by the institution of higher education attended, whichever is less;
  • Possess an associate’s (or higher) degree; 
  • Take a paraprofessional course to become certified. You can go to Region 13 and Region 20 websites for course dates and availability. Once you have your course certificate you must apply for your Paraprofessional Certificate with SBEC, see details here: Paraprofessional Employees Cert. Requirements.pdf

  ***For those that have the required number of college hours, you still have to apply for a Paraprofessional Certificate,                     please see: How to set up TEAL Acct.pdf in order to request your certificate and fingerprinting through TEA.

  Note: Paraprofessionals whose duties consist solely of parental involvement activities or translation services are exempt from              the qualification requirement.

When applying for Educational Aide/Support staff positions please ensure you read the job description and requirements carefully. These positions have varying scheduled hours/days worked and may require certification.  

If certification is required it is important to supply proper documentation along with your application to be considered for the position.


                                          For Benefit information click Benefits Book .pdf 


Click here for job postings and to apply


To return to the HR home page