FISD Citizens Advisory Committee for Educational Facilities
Goal of the Citizens Advisory Committee
The goal of the Citizens Advisory Committee is to involve constituents of Fredericksburg Independent School District (FISD) in evaluating the need for renovated or new facilities for the purpose of supporting quality educational facilities for a middle school campus and other district wide facilities.
Purpose of the Citizens Advisory Committee
The purpose of the Citizens Advisory Committee is to provide facility and equipment recommendations to FISD Board of Trustees after having studied current facilities, educational programs, student population trends associated with the school district, and other data relevant to providing quality educational programs for all students.
Charges to the Committee
The Citizens Advisory Committee represents all stakeholders of Fredericksburg Independent School District and is asked to provide meaningful information to the district by developing recommendations that:
- Considers the educational needs of all students;
- Provides an adequate and appropriate learning environment;
- Is fiscally sound;
- Reflects community values and perceptions of need;
- Includes recommended solutions for aging facilities and program needs;
- Includes recommended solutions for new facilities needed to accommodate future student population growth.
- Are based on current, relevant data and best practices;
- Adheres to law and policy that govern school construction and bond issue requirements; and
- To the extent possible, provides the school district with recommendations that reflect the support of registered voters as measured by a statistically valid community survey.
Parameters for the Citizens Advisory Committee (CAC)
- The Citizens Advisory Committee will be comprised of individuals from the community who represent the diversity and complex interests within FISD and aided by district staff members serving as information providers for the committee.
- Recommendations to the board will be within the allowable financial model established by the Board of Trustees for bond debt service and future anticipated bond schedules.
- Significant recommendations for renovating existing facilities and/or building new facilities will require a source of funding that is only available with a voter supported bond issue.
- If a bond issue is recommended, it should be fiscally conservative, emphasizing cost effective recommended solutions.
- The CAC recommendation(s) should address immediate and future facility needs of the school district to the extent members feel are financially prudent.
- The Citizens Advisory Committee will have access to data and resources provided by FISD in order to develop appropriate facility recommendations.
- The CAC recognizes that the committee’s role is to provide recommendations to the Board of Trustees of Fredericksburg ISD and that the Board of Trustees will determine the structure and content of any potential bond issue.
- The Citizens Advisory Committee agrees to communicate progress and submit information requests to the school district in a timely fashion and provide regular updates to Fredericksburg ISD and community stakeholders.
- The CAC will submit recommendations to FISD early enough for the school district to study the recommendations and to legally call an election if a bond issue is appropriate